Howtoencourage

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

GO FOR IT OR LET GO OF IT ENCOURAGEMENT

It's hard to let go of something you want. It's hard to go for it when life is tough. Is it fear or is it good common sense to give up?

Sometimes we carry things around we were never intended to--such as problems, faults, failures, worries--our own and others. We've overburdened ourselves. It's great to help others, but sometimes in our helping, we go too far. I am in such a situation right now. I want to help a loved one but I'm afraid my helping could be hurting and hindering their personal growth.

I am working on healthy boundaries for both of us. The baggage becomes too heavy to lug around. Carrying around old wounds and problems will only slow us down. I want to learn to pack lightly.

Ann Landers said it well, "Some people believe that holding on and hanging in there are signs of great strength. However, there are times when it takes much more strength to know when to let go--and then do it."

I go forward three steps and then backward two. It's a day by day journey, one small step at a time. But I am determined and I can do it!

No comments: