Howtoencourage

Monday, December 4, 2006

Encouragement For Desert Travel

I did it. I ventured out into the commercial world of Christmas(shopping).

I didn't want to. I am afraid I will stray from my new journey. I so want to find the true Christmas spirit inside of me. For myself and for my family.

My mom needed me to give advice on some purchases. It was a snowy wintery day outside, which contrasted nicely with the warmly lit, wonderfully decorated stores.

They say a physical fast heightens your sense of taste. I say a spiritual fast can heighten my other senses as well. I really thought the lights seemed brighter, the textures of the season more luxurious, the smells more vivid and the gifts delightful to consider.

I love this anonymous quote from Sarah B Breathnach's book:
"If, as Herod we fill our lives with things, and again with things; if we consider ourselves so unimportant that we must fill every moment of our lives with action, when will we have the time to make the long, slow journey across the desert as did the Magi? Or sit and watch the stars as did the shepherds? Or brood over the coming of the child as did Mary? For each one of us, there is a desert to travel. A star to discover. And a being within ourselves to bring to life."

I want to devote my holidays to doing, feeling and just being.
I think I'm on my way...

No comments: