Howtoencourage

Saturday, December 9, 2006

Light a Candle for the Children

I can't think of anything more terrible than to lose a child before their time. To think that someone you brought into the world, left the world before you did, and you are still here. The pain must be excruciating.

"Light a candle for the children who need more than presents can bring, for the broken and forgotten; lift a heart or two, because love's the greatest gift that we could ever give," sang the soloist at church last Sunday. Words that touched our hearts and made some of us cry.

I was inspired to read about the Compassionate Friends organization, people who are joined together in their grief, reaching out to others who are there now, helping with healing rain.

Today, we are to light a candle for the children who have left before their time...and for the parents who are still here.

Grace Noll Crowel says it this way;
"Let me come in where you are weeping, friend,
And let me take your hand.
I, who have known a sorrow such as yours,
can understand.
Let me come in--I would be very still
Beside you in your grief.
I would not bid you cease your weeping, friend;
tears bring relief.
Let me come in--I would only breathe a prayer,
and hold your hand.
For I have known a sorrow such as yours,
and understand."


Knowing that what we are going through can benefit others as well as ourselves brings treasure from painful experiences. People encouraging others lessens the pain.

A little bit at a time...one minute, one hour, then three. Finally the next day.
Sometimes that is the only way.
howtoencourage.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loss my daughter 14 years ago.

Peaceful/Paisible said...

my niece lost her baby, she was six months pregnant...had to wait to give birth to a little boy...to give him a name and to bury him...it seems so unfair...
I send my love and support to all you my sisters who went through such terrible moments...
mousie

Kay the Encourager said...

Mousie, that is exactly what happened to me, but I thought they had better ways of saving 2 pound babies in this high tech age.
My boy weighed 2 lbs and I held him in my hand, but he died soon after. I had many dreams about him and I would wake up crying.