Howtoencourage

Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving Encouragement

I find that when I am grateful, my life has a graceful energy that seems to flow in the right direction. Things go well. Or maybe it's because I don't notice when they don't go well because of my attitude. I don't know which affects the other more, only that they do go hand in hand.

I love Melody Beattie's quote about a thankful spirit. She says it so well.
"Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos into order, confusion into clarity, problems into gifts, failure into success, the unexpected into perfect timing and mistakes into important events. It turns what we have into enough and more. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today and creates a vision for tomorrow."

One of the secrets of a happy life is taking time for small treats. So on this Thanksgiving evening, what are some small blessings that you are thankful for? Here is a portion of my list...

A husband who listens.
The first snowfall of the season.
Comfortable shoes that look good.
When your adult daughter calls and says, 'I need your advice.'
A little person(grandchild, niece, nephew, friend) who is excited to see you.
My dog and cat sleeping together in the dog's bed.
A friend asking, 'how are you?' and really caring about the answer.
Knowing that I have made a difference in someone's life with encouraging words.

No comments: