Howtoencourage

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

WRONG ABOUT ENCOURAGING WORDS

I am wrong about encouraging words. I thought everything could be solved with encouraging words. I thought you could say something comforting no matter what. Now I'm not so sure that is true.

Sometimes there are no words to ease the pain. Sometimes life is that unfair.

A friend of mine lost her husband on a Sunday afternoon. They have five children. One minute he said he didn't feel good and the next they are calling 911.

Another friend just buried her newborn niece. She said the anguish in the parents eyes was unbearable.

Sometimes there are no words.

This is what it means to be held
How it feels when the sacred is torn from your life
And you survive.

This is what it means to be loved and to know
That the promise was when everything fell
We'd be held.
Natalie Grant
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W1CEppIPQk

Sometimes that is the only way. Just to sit silently in the present moment. Entering into the ache with your loved one.

Encouraging words will come later.

2 comments:

Ann said...

My dear friend lost her husband the same way. There were no adequate words for years. Sometimes presence is more important than words.

Anonymous said...

Easily I assent to but I think the post should have more info then it has.