Howtoencourage

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Encouragement for Cloudy Days

Living in the midwest in the middle of winter can become daunting indeed. Who else could stay in bed, under the covers, especially on Monday mornings? I have struggled over the years with being SAD, as I know lots of women and men do. What are some simple practical things to do to encourage during this time?

Go toward any light and soak it up. This could be as simple as sitting by the window and letting a few rays of the sun shine on your face. Or trying some artificial sun in the form of tanning or sun lamps. There are special seasonal lamps to combat this light disorder that just might be worth it.

Here are several other action items that always encourage me.

Enjoying nature by bundling up and taking my dog for a walk. I love to see him run and play in the snow and I love the exhilaration I feel from exercising outside in the winter. There are beautiful winter scenes everywhere I look. I can't describe what a warm fire and drink feels like after this movement--you'll just have to try it for yourself!

Becoming a student of myself and knowing what fuels me so that I don't burn out during this season. Then giving myself the freedom to experience a special treat or favorite pastime when things get too difficult for me.

It might be setting aside an afternoon to read a book that I have been putting off. Or meeting a friend for lunch. Making and keeping human-touch connections especially encourages me during the dark days that seem to go on too long at this time of year.

Whatever it is that encourages and inspires you, go for it! Remember you are worth it--anytime of the year.

No comments: